National Oil Corporation of Kenya
National Oil is state corporation under the Ministry of Energy incorporated in April 1981 and charged with participation in all aspects of the petroleum industry. National Oil has a 100% Government of Kenya shareholding.
National Oil became operational in 1984 and its initial operations were limited to exploration activities delegated from the Ministry of Energy. In 1988, National Oil went downstream and actively started participating in the importation and sale of petroleum products including crude oil, white fuels, lubricants and LPG.
The formation of National Oil was precipitated by the oil crisis of the 1970's (1973/74 and 1979/80) and the correspondent supply disruptions and price hikes which resulted in the country's oil bill comprising of almost one third of the total value of imports and therefore making petroleum the largest single drain of Kenya's foreign exchange earnings.
National Oil was therefore born out a need by the Government of Kenya to have greater control of the petroleum sector which is a crucial determinant of the country’s economic performance. National Oil has since remained the Government’s policy instrument in matters related to oil specifically in the upstream exploration of oil and gas, mid-stream development of petroleum infrastructure and downstream marketing of petroleum products including motor and industrial fuels, lubricants, LPG and related motor consumables and hardware.
We are a world class petroleum company serving energy needs today and tomorrow.
- Leading in retail, distribution, service delivery, and developing Kenya’s petroleum resources.
- Growing a sustainable, profitable company responsible to our shareholders.
- Living by our values; respecting the environment, health and safety of the community. Our employees are respected, motivated, and rewarded for achievement and innovation.
- We provide stability in our markets by commercial importation, distribution, sales and exportation of energy products. We are charged to be fiscally responsible and to earn a fair return on our commercial activities.
- We facilitate and participate in the exploration and exploitation of petroleum products on behalf of the Kenyan people.
- We are Kenya’s agent for national energy data, petroleum laboratories, and the development of alternative fuels. We are a trusted advisor to Kenyan energy policymakers.
1. Our Customers
- We thrive by providing customers with excellent service
- We take pride in win-win partnerships
- We guarantee uncompromised quality products and excellent services
- We employ world-class standards in all our processes
- Our motto is ‘If it isn’t safe, it isn’t worth it’
- Integrity is at the core of our business.
- We keep our word.
- We prudently manage our resources and deliver a fair return to our shareholders
- We conduct our operations in an environmentally and socially responsible manner
- We uphold best practices of good corporate governance
5. Our People
- Our employees are our most valuable resource
- We have the skills and expertise to deliver our vision
- We continuously improve our capacity to deliver excellence
- We create an environment of mutual respect, open communication, shared values, teamwork, recognition and equitable rewards
Our Strategic Intent
“Our intent is to be the premier regional energy company in Africa, providing a full range of downstream services and supporting an active exploration program in Kenya and Africa. The period ending 2013 will focus on:
- Establishing market leadership in commercial operations in Kenya
- Initiating active exploration.
Looking beyond 2013, we will continue to support a growing Kenyan economy while expanding our regional import/export capabilities to the benefit of the Kenyan market.”